- Written by Jeremy Jeremy
- Last Updated: 01 March 2016 01 March 2016
Why should I use a professional web developer? That is a question I have been asked more than once in my 18 years in the business. Here is a list of a few good reasons for hiring a professional developer.
A good professional web developer has years of experience and/or education building and maintaining websites. With experience comes knowledge that a person doesn't have unless they have put in the time. As with any technology, the internet is constantly changing and evolving, and it is the professional's job to keep up with it. Most business don't have the time or the resources to become experts in web design, coding and SEO.
Even though DIY website builders have improved over the years, some if not all of the following may not be addressed.
- Testing: a common mistake people make is to assume that because their website looks great in one web browser means that it does in all browsers. The fact is unless a website is tested on each browser and platform that you expect people to view it on, there is no way to know how it will function / look on those browsers or devices.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization): Title tags, Meta Description tags are just the start. Don’t forget heading tags, image alt tags, menu links, url’s, leveraging Google Webmaster tools and Google Anlytics. Plus Page speed and mobile friendliness is important for SEO.
- Standards: Having a properly coded website can help with maintainability, help browser render your website correctly and may even help with SEO. https://validator.w3.org/docs/why.html
- Quality Design/Branding: Choosing professional developer with a design background or a designer on the their team will help ensure that the website looks professional, is easy to use and promotes business while remaining true to your brand / identity.
- Installation and setup of Google Webmaster tools and Google Analytics: Webmaster tools helps to make sure your site is running properly and submitted correctly to Google. Analytics will allow you to track and view how people use your site and give you a plethora of statistics.
- Maintenance / Security: Websites that are up-to-date with the latest versions of the platform they are built on and any plugins, extensions or themes are less likely to be hacked. Having a current backup of your website will come in handy if your website is ever hacked or the host has major issue.
A professional developer can suggest recommended security practices and plugins to help keep your website from being hacked in the first place.
Why hire a professional Web Developer? Your website will enjoy the benefits of, good design, testing, SEO, maintenance and security. Plus a properly coded and maintained website makes future updates easier and less expensive. Finally having a professional, user friendly and up-to-date website is good for business and presents your business / brand favorably.